OSEHRA AWG WG Telecom 4PM EDT Today (Tuesday) - AGENDA

Weekly Open-Source EHR - Architecture Work Group (AWG) Telecom

March 13, 2012 OSEHRA AWG AGENDA-MINUTES

Last Updated 9am, 12-Mar-12

DATE & TIME: Every Tuesday 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM EDT 14Feb-to-26Jun 2012

REGISTER at:
https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/198334374 (NEW: accommodates 100)

Once registered you will receive an email with information you need to join
the Webinar.

DOCUMENTS at:
http://www.osehra.org/node/47/content/documents

DISCUSSION at:
http://www.osehra.org/node/47/content/discussions

WIKI at:
http://www.osehra.org/node/47/content/wikis

Web Browser HTML SYSTEM ARCHITECTURE at:
http://architecture.osehra.org

VISUAL CROSS-REFERENCE of PACKAGES/ROUTINES/GLOBALS are at:

http://code.osehra.org/dox/ for 2011-9-6
release

http://code.osehra.org/dox_beta/ for
2012-12-6 FOIA release

E-MAIL DISTRIBUTION LIST:
architecture@groups.osehra.org - you must be registered to post/receive.
Please register with Architecture Group

. Joining OSEHRA is free; please join at
www.OSEHRA.org .

. To receive AWG e-mail, join the OSEHRA AWG at:
http://www.osehra.org/groups

. Add your comments and suggestions to the AWG "discussion forum" or
"Wiki".

VA POSITION ON OSEHRA PARTICIPATION: Senior VA leadership encourages
employees and contractors to actively participate in technical discussions
without pre-approval; but, employees and contractors must NOT commit the
government to a particular course-of-action without appropriate management
approval.

AWG PLAN OF ACTIONS & MILESTONES

* 17 Sep 2011 Initial 2011 System Architecture baseline
* 06 Dec 2011 validated 2011 System Architecture baseline
* 17 Mar 2012 "strawman" Product Definition and Roadmap
* 17 Jun 2012 "ironman" Production Definition and Roadmap.
* 01 Oct 2012 Product definition for all 126 hospitals (pending
funding)

AGENDA/MINUTES

(Related slides & spread sheets are posted at the "Documents"
link given above)

1. Start: Introductions and Roll Call

2. Minutes: Approve last week's minutes and review/update this week's
agenda

. Last week's call discussed

i. 1) Problem List Refactoring
and the possible collaboration with the ICD10 group, Ed Radley's AvivA
group, George Timson's MSC Fileman work, the Joel Ivey's Eclipse debugging
tool and Afsin Ustundag's XIndex fixes.

ii. Visual Cross Reference Tool
updates

3. Action Items: review open action items

. ACTION (Peter Li) Follow-up on NancyA's suggestions and invite
individuals listed above to present to AWG.

4. Discussion Agenda: (slides at:

http://www.osehra.org/node/47/content/documents ) under AWG minutes

. TOPIC 1: (Peter Li) System Architecture, Product Definition, and
Roadmap discussion was deferred till next week.

. TOPIC 2: Dr Paul Tibitts questions & Dr. Steve Hufnagel's Replies

1. PAUL'S QUESTION: How should VA and OSEHRA collaborate on future
versions of the VA release architecture?

. STEVE'S Reply: OSEHRA should maintain the Configuration-Management
Baseline "System Architecture Product Definition & Roadmap"

- Inventories FOIA Release Architecture

- Inventories NON-VA Open-Source modules

- Inventories VA Class 1, 2, 3 Modules

- Identifies "Do Not Modify" Modules

- Visual Cross Reference identifying routine and data dependencies
for FOIA release

- (proposed) Architecture Certification Tool, which confirms
consistent configuration for an arbitrary configuration of Class 1, 2, 3
modules

2. PAUL'S QUESTION: Is there a role for ASD employees to make positive
contributions to the open source community?

. STEVE'S REPLY: YES

- Tools

- Convergence of modules/configurations

- Architectural verification and validation of Product Definition and
Roadmap

3. PAUL'S QUESTION: How should VA and OSEHRA collaborate on cloud
computing? How will the open source community optimize tolerance of the
applications for network latency?

. STEVE'S REPLY: Migration to a Federated asynchronous Database
architecture with regional & local caching.

4. PAUL'S QUESTION: How do we discover more open source tools that
might be useful to VA and iEHR?

. STEVE'S REPLY: Defining needs & requirements to Open Source
Community through OSEHRA AWG, as we did with the Visual Cross Reference
tool.

5. PAUL'S QUESTION: How do we promote membership of individuals in VA
(especially PD and Field Development staff) in OSEHRA?

. STEVE'S REPLY: OSEHRA must help make VA PD & Field Development
staffs' work faster, better and/or cheaper .

6. PAUL'S QUESTION: What are the major security risks and mitigations
in using open source SW?

. STEVE'S REPLY: Unintended consequences, due to inadequate CM,
testing and certification.

7. PAUL'S QUESTION: For new functionality in the open source gold disk,
how should VA best forecast increases required in IT infrastructure
capacity?

. STEVE'S REPLY: Capacity Planning Simulations based on actual
performance measurements.

8. PAUL'S QUESTION: What role should OSEHRA play in data management,
semantic harmonization, terminology mediation, and connection to NwHIN?

. STEVE'S REPLY: Facilitation of Open Source Community verification
and validation.

Attendee list: