Kris urged people to visit the Summit website and register/submit abstracts.
Kris noted that OSEHRA will be exhibiting at HIMSS and bringing the printed infographic (downloadable from the microsite) as well as a business card on OS VistA.
Discussion was had on ways to market OS VistA to EHR decision-makers:
- they tend to be C-suite decision-makers, not familiar with the particulars of technology
- their top priority is avoiding (implementation) RISK
- they are also concerned about having someone to call for support
- also want to control their own destiny!
- an expensive, commercial EHR at least gives them someone to blame when problems arise
- physicians' work has gotten harder as a result of EHR's, reducing quality of care
- VistA is most preferred by physicians and causes least time-drag
- open source has a bad rap, even though it increasingly dominates in other arenas (i.e. mobile devices that everyone uses)
- need educate on how open source is overtaking all arenas, technology of the future
- research infographics on open source trends
- OS needs to be on decision-makers' list of things to check out when shopping for an EHR
- consider not focusing on the open source aspect, like Android doesn't tout OS
- elevate the notion of interoperability built into the architecture, as opposed to something added on
- what role will OS have in EHR transitions?
Look forward to getting together after HIMSS to see what we've learned about how decision-makers are approaching the EHR process.