Patient Centered Care and Portability Notes - May 15, 2013

In discussing some of the issues that physicians have with using EMRs, Bob Cook mentioned a number of different approaches to medication reconciliation with which he is familiar as ways that the tools can do more of the work and improve the ability of the physician to understand the patient's history and treat the patient more effectively:

  • The VA had a pilot project for medication reconciliation, see Brief Medication Reconcilation presentation, below
  • HCS has had a medication reconciliation solution commercially available since 2005 (http://www.hcsinc.net/) and in use in many Alabama hospitals

An additional solution is RcopiaAC, used by hospitals across the US, and developed by DrFirst (http://www.drfirst.com/hospitals.jsp).

As always, in addition to the presentation Bob contributed, I have attached the presentation and source materials. An additional reference article, by Kimberly Martini, is here: http://www.hitechanswers.net/ehr-dissatisfaction-a-tech-or-people-problem/.

File: 

Comments

Patient Centered Care and Portability Notes - May 15, 2013

Nancy Anthracite's picture

At the VistA Community Meeting we may be looking at one or more uses of
"Twinlist" for reconciliation of more than just medications. I am trying to
understand just what the VA is doing with it, which may be what this Brief ...
project is, and that have a presentation related to it and I do expect we will
have have another presentation for sure that has to do with it and parsing the
CCDA to use it as is done with SMART. As you may or may not know, a project
was done to SMART enable VistA already outside of the VA.

I am sorry I was unable to attend today. I have been VERY busy getting this
meeting coming up next week lined up.

--
Nancy Anthracite

On Wednesday, May 15, 2013, jjensen wrote:
> In discussing some of the issues that physicians have with using EMRs, Bob
> Cook mentioned a number of different approaches to medication
> reconciliation with which he is familiar as ways that the tools can do
> more of the work and improve the ability of the physician to understand
> the patient's history and treat the patient more effectively:
>
> * The VA had a pilot project for medication reconciliation, see Brief
> Medication Reconcilation presentation, below
> * HCS has had a medication reconciliation solution commercially available
> since 2005 (http://www.hcsinc.net/ [1]) and in use in many Alabama
> hospitals
>
> An additional solution is RcopiaAC, used by hospitals across the US,
> and developed by DrFirst (http://www.drfirst.com/hospitals.jsp [2]).
>
> As always, in addition to the presentation Bob contributed, I have attached
> the presentation and source materials. An additional reference article, by
> Kimberly Martini, is
> here: http://www.hitechanswers.net/ehr-dissatisfaction-a-tech-or-people-pro
> blem/ [3].
>
> Upload
> Files:
>
> Brief Medication Reconciliation: a look at a medication reconciliation tool
> piloted by the VA in Salt Lake. [4]
>
> Presentation derived from Dr. Handler's white paper. [5]
>
> The Checkbox is Not the Patient: a white paper by Dr. Jonathan A. Handler
> [6]
>
> Promote content
> Email this post to members of all groups:
>
> No
>
> --
> Full post:
> http://www.osehra.org/content/patient-centered-care-and-portability-note...
> [7]
> Manage my subscriptions: http://www.osehra.org/og_mailinglist/subscriptions
> [8]
> Stop emails for this post:
> http://www.osehra.org/og_mailinglist/unsubscribe/1875 [9]
>
> [1] http://www.hcsinc.net/
> [2] http://www.drfirst.com/hospitals.jsp
> [3]
> http://www.hitechanswers.net/ehr-dissatisfaction-a-tech-or-people-problem/
> [4]
> http://www.osehra.org/sites/default/files/brief_medication_reconciliation.
> pptx [5]
> http://www.osehra.org/sites/default/files/2013-05-18_the_checkbox_is_not_t
> he_patient_.pptx [6]
> http://www.osehra.org/sites/default/files/white-paper-the-checkbox-is-not-
> the-patient.pdf [7]
> http://www.osehra.org/content/patient-centered-care-and-portability-notes-
> may-15-2013 [8] http://www.osehra.org/og_mailinglist/subscriptions
> [9] http://www.osehra.org/og_mailinglist/unsubscribe/1875

-------------------------------------------------------