VistA Novo: Open Source VistA Developer Toolkit
The VistA Novo project is investigating the feasibility of an open source VistA developer toolkit with the goal of allowing developers working in the open source community to use and contribute to VistA capabilities using mainstream architectural approaches and modern programming languages. The VistA Novo project is funded by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Architecture, Strategy, and Design (ASD) organizaiton with the targeted outcome of achieving technical contributions to accelerate open source VistA's ability to successfully server our nation and share information with entities that do not use VistA.
Key features of VistA Novo include:
- RESTful Interface: Scalable and stateless, easy for all types of devices to access, from service to mobile devices and sensors.
- Foundation for API of APIs: Provides a potential basis for VA App Store and ensures apps only use authoritative VistA-based services.
Additional information about VistA Novo is available in an overview presentation.
Phase 1: Proof of Concept
- A FHIR implementation to make available VistA test health data following the FHIR specification.
The products from the first phase include proof of concept capabilities for an open source VistA developer toolkit with sufficient source code to verify the toolkit approach and viability. This includes services to expose VistA data following the FHIR specification, a backend that can invoke VistA-based services to populate FHIR-based data models, and a testing stub to simulate VistA based services. The first release of these products occurred in January 2014.
- Code Repositories:
- Test Stub: https://github.com/OSEHRA/vista-novo-test-stub
- FHIR Implementation: https://github.com/OSEHRA/vista-novo-fhir
- Wiki: http://wiki.osehra.org/display/VN/VistA+Novo+Home
- Issue Tracking: http://issues.osehra.org/browse/VN