So, I'm trying to understand in what situations you envision using the "community initiated innovation" process you have described.
For example, it would be useful for external software developers to be able to programmatically add patients through a RPC Broker call. It is one of the most frequently asked questions on several current VistA community discussion sites.
In theory, it is a pretty small scope, and the Astronaut version of Vista has actually implemented an RPC call as a add-on feature.
1. Is this the scope of product enhancement that the community initiated innovation process is meant to cover?
2. If so, could it go roughly like this:
- Mike submits the well described idea to create an official ADD PATIENT RPC call
- Kevin Toppenberg(or others) could champion the idea.
- A project is established. [How heavyweight is this "project"?]
- Code is written and checked into sandbox/experimental code area
- Initial code testing
- Publishing of idea to peer-review journal
- Peers weigh in.
- Code modifications are made and tested
- Code submitted to VA Dashboard for automated platform testing
- Code is submitted to mainline code and available in next platinum release
3. If not, then what process would be utilized