The mission of OSEHRA's Education Group is to support the open source software development effort with training on the OSEHRA codebase, the culture of open interfaces, modularity and reuse, and the life cycle management of open source software from experimentation to implementation.
OSEHRA's Multimedia Education Portal
See the new Education Portal. The training modules listed below will no longer be updated. Please refer to the new Education Portal for new content.
OSEHRA Training Modules
Module 1: Open Source Software Development Best Practices
Open source software development best practices: why this is important to OSEHRA's community. Example links and content include:
- "Architecture of Open Source Applications"
- “Copyrights and Copywrongs: The Rise of Intellectual Property and How It Threatens Creativity”, Siva Vaidhyanathan
- "Innovation Happens Elsewhere: Open Source as Business Strategy"
- "Open Technology Development (OTD) Military Lessons Learned"
- “Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom and Intellectual Property Law”, Lawrence Rosen
- “Open Source Software Law” Rod Dixon
- “Open Sources 2.0: The Continuing Evolution” Chris DiBona, Mark Stone, Danese Cooper
- "Producing Open Source Software: How to Run a Successful Free Software Project" Karl Fogel
- Red Hat-“The Open Source Way”
- Suitable for Mission Critical Applications
- "The Art of Community" Jono Bacon
- “The Architecture of Open Source Applications”, Amy Brown, George Wilson
- "The Cathedral & the Bazaar"
- "The Open Source Way: Creating and nurturing communities of contributors"
- “The Success of Open Source” Steven Weber
- "The "Teaching Open Source" Community"
Module 2: OSEHRA Open Source VistA Policies, Procedures, and Tools
Module 2 lays out the procedures and tools for establishing, managing, and distributing open source VistA codebase projects within OSEHRA's community. Example links and content include:
VA VistA Resources (Governmental)
- CPRS Demo - Try VA’s VistA CPRS software!
- VA eHealth University
- VA Learning University - Talent Management System
- VA Information Resource Center (VIREC)
- VA Vista University
- RPMS Training, Indian Health Service
VistA Training Resources (Non-Governmental)
- DSS, Inc.: Training
- Introducing Mumps - vx2Learning Campus - vxVistA Community
- Pioneer Data Systems: Your Source for Quality VistA Training
- Shepherd University: VistA & RPMS Health IT Education
- ESI Technology Corp.
- Sea Island Systems, Inc.
Military Health System (MHS), Open Source Software (OSS) Workshop
- Mil Health System(MHS)-Open Source Software(OSS):Workshop Overview & Brochure
- Military Open Source Software
- Telemedicine and Advanced Technology Research Center (TATRC) Open Source Efforts
- Security and Open Source Software (OSS/FLOSS)
- Quality Improvement in Open Source Software
- Community Innovation_Freedom is a Feature - Open Source
- Case Study: OSS at National Cancer Institute - Cancer Bioinformatics Grid (caBIG)
- Intellectual Property Management to Foster Collaboration
- Open Source Software (OSS): Open Science, Open Data, and Open Software
- Canada Health Infoway and Open Source
Module 3: OSEHRA Community Support Resources
This module describes the range of resources available to OSEHRA's community, and how to best use them. The resources described include links to community wikis & forums, source code repository, OSEHRA “Groups”, issue trackers, quality control dashboards, Blogs, mailing lists, and educational resources including tutorials and documentation.
Module 4: From “Sandbox to Marketplace”
Best practices on translating open source software from experimentation, development, and validation to real world utilization; life-cycle management from idea to product; federal acquisition and procurement regulations; transitioning into operations and maintenance; leveraging OSEHRA's community for ongoing continuous improvement and development.