Veterans Health Administration (VHA) Related Documentation
As part of an effort to make their plans for development available to the open source community, VHA is providing the following documents:
- Veterans Health Administration (VHA) FY13 IT Appropriation Allocation
- Veterans Health Administration (VHA) Class III Software Modifications to VistA
- VHA Application Listing from Business Architecture Repository - as of 6-2012 (unofficial)
- VHA Business Function Framework
The documentation of the existing architecture is a hybrid comprised of legacy and modernized applications, services, and data repositories. The VistA codebase is a living, dynamic environment gradually evolving from a MUMPS to a Java based platform, and Service Oriented Architecture (SOA). Documentation associated with VistA modules includes:
- VistA Evolution Program Plan and VistA 4 Product Roadmap
- VA Software Document Library (VDL)
- VistA Monograph on the Internet
- VA FOIA site for VistA codebase Library
- OneVA Enterprise Architecture: VHA developed an Enterprise Architecture that provides a technical framework to promote a one technology vision across the Department so that all systems are interoperable.
- Public facing Virtual Office of Acquisition (VOA) portal
- VA Software Development Standards for VistA
- VA Interface Control Registrations (ICRs)
- VistA/CPRS Product Demo: A good representation of the VistA product.
- One-VA TRM, which includes the Standards Profile and Product List, collectively serve as a technology roadmap and as a tool for supporting Office of Information & Technology (OIT).
- SOAP-style web service consumption used by HealtheVet XOBW
- REST-style web service consumption, used by HealtheVet XOBW
- GT.M Administration and Operations Guide
- Intersystems Caché documentation
- VA Corporate Databases Monograph: The Corporate Database Monograph provides an overview of the active VHA national databases. Information contained in this monograph allows stakeholders to identify opportunities for database consolidations, determine authoritative data sources, and work with VHA Data Quality committees to implement data standardization and quality control processes for corporate databases.
- VA Information Technology Strategic Plans:
- VA eHealth University (VeHU) is VA’s major annual training conference that provides education on the Computerized Patient Record System (CPRS) and related clinical software (VistA) developed by the Veterans Health Administration (VHA).
- VA Capital Investment Planning: Planned IT capital asset expenditures that exceed $10 million acquisition or $30 million life cycle costs, or have high levels of risk or visibility, must apply to the Capital Investment Board for approval. The VA Capital Investment Board (VACIB) oversees the approval of all capital investment proposals that exceed certain threshold requirements, represent a high risk or high visibility or are cross-cutting. Approved proposals constitute the VA Capital Plan and support annual budget requests.
- User, Technical, Programmer Manuals (va.gov/vdl)
- VistA Modernization Report Legacy to Leadership (2010)
OSEHRA VistA Tools
VIVIAN (Visualizing VistA and Namespace)
VIVIANTM (Visualizing VistA And Namespace) is an OSEHRA developed, web based tool for viewing and browsing relationships among hierarchical and connected entities. Originally developed to allow browsing of the VistA code base via a tree-based functional decomposition of the code, VIVIAN has expanded to include tree-based visualizations of VistA menus and the VHA Business Function Framework categorization; as well as circle plots of the interaction network among VistA packages.
Visual Cross Reference
OSEHRA VistA Cross Reference documentation is generated with the results of XINDEX and FileMan Data Dictionary utility running against the VistA code base pulled from the repository. This documentation provides direct dependency information among packages, among FileMan files, between globals and routines, as well as direct call/caller graphs and source code for individual routine.
System Architecture Reference
OSEHRA's website also contain a VistA System Architecture (SA) tool-generated HTML-navigable VistA SA model. The VistA SA model is both a tool and documentation based-on and including links-to the VistA documentation library. The VistA SA tool contain architectural artifacts, including but-not-limited to:
- Components modeled as UML classes
- Component descriptions and functions
- Component-to-component dependencies
- Component-to-data dependencies
- Appropriate Links to VistA Documentation Library