Perspecta's DHP Synthea Manager
There are multiple parts of this demo in order to see the full capabilities of the project.
First, the demo site of Perspecta's DHP Synthea Manager allows you to generate patients using SyntheaTM, and then do multiple different things with them.
- Enter a number of patients to generate and select "Create Patients". (The more patients, the longer it takes.)
- Once they are generated, under the "Known Problems" section, clicking on a disease will show only patients with that diagnosis in their record.
- Select "OSEHRA Patient Visualization" to see the patient's record using OSEHRA's SyntheaTM Viewer. (Developed by the Visualization Open Source Project Group)
- Finally, to view the patients in VistA CPRS, select "Send to VistA" and follow the steps below.
OSEHRA CPRS Demo
Go to the link below to download and install the OSEHRA CPRS Demo.
- Once downloaded and configured to the OSEHRA Demo Server, choose any provider using the credentials on the home screen and sign in.
- When selecting a patient, search for the last name of the patient generated in the previous steps. (The Synthea Manager UI displays them as First Name, Last Name while CPRS presents them as Last Name, First Name.)
- Once the patient is selected, their synthetic medical record can be viewed in CPRS.
FHIR on VistA
To use the FHIR API on VistA, you will need the patient identifier on VistA, i.e., ICN. If you don't know the patient's ICN, you can use the Synthea Manager UI (see top of this page) to create a new patient and send it to VistA. Once the patient record is loaded on VistA, the Synthea Manager UI will display the ICN associated with the loaded patient.
Assume that you have the patient's ICN (patient id in VistA), you can retrieve various FHIR resources using the REST APIs provided on the OSEHRA VistA demo site; for example, for a patient ICN=4916431649V522013, here are the URLs to retrieve patient's encounters, conditions, and medication statements in the form of JSON statements.
Or if you want to retrieve all resources from a patient, use the $everything API
You can also use the clinFHIR patient data viewer to retrieve the patient data. First you will need to add the OSEHRA FHIR server to the list of available FHIR Data Server. Since OSEHRA FHIR is not on the default list, you will need to create a new FHIR Data Server. Configure the new FHIR Data Server to point to http://fhir-vista.osehra.org:8085/api/ and make sure it is set to STU-3 with $everything enabled. Once you have added the OSEHRA FHIR data server, you can select the Patient Data Viewer to retrieve the patient data. Again, you will need to set the patient ICN to retrieve the patient data.