Weekly Open-Source EHR - Architecture Work Group (AWG) Telecom
March 13, 2012 OSEHRA AWG AGENDA-MINUTES
Last Updated 9am, 15-Mar-12
DATE & TIME: Every Tuesday 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM EDT
REGISTER at: https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/198334374 (NEW: accommodates 100)
Once registered you will receive an email with information you need to join the Webinar.
DOCUMENTS at: http://www.osehra.org/node/47/content/documents
DISCUSSION at: http://www.osehra.org/node/47/content/discussions
Web Browser HTML SYSTEM ARCHITECTURE at: http://architecture.osehra.org
VISUAL CROSS-REFERENCE of PACKAGES/ROUTINES/GLOBALS are at:
http://code.osehra.org/dox/ for 2011-9-6 release
http://code.osehra.org/dox_beta/ for 2012-12-6 FOIA release
E-MAIL DISTRIBUTION LIST: firstname.lastname@example.org – you must be registered to post/receive. Please register with Architecture Group
- Joining OSEHRA is free; please join at www.OSEHRA.org .
- To receive AWG e-mail, join the OSEHRA AWG at: http://www.osehra.org/groups
- Add your comments and suggestions to the AWG “discussion forum” or “Wiki”.
VA POSITION ON OSEHRA PARTICIPATION: Senior VA leadership encourages employees and contractors to actively participate in technical discussions without pre-approval; but, employees and contractors must NOT commit the government to a particular course-of-action without appropriate management approval.
AWG PLAN OF ACTIONS & MILESTONES
- 17 Sep 2011 Initial 2011 System Architecture baseline
- 06 Dec 2011 validated 2011 System Architecture baseline
- 17 Mar 2012 “strawman” Product Definition and Roadmap
- 17 Jun 2012 “ironman” Production Definition and Roadmap.
- 01 Oct 2012 Product definition for all 126 hospitals (pending funding)
(Related slides & spread sheets are posted at the “Documents” link given above)
- Start: Introductions and Roll Call
- Minutes: Approve last week’s minutes and review/update this week’s agenda
- Last week’s call discussed
- 1) Problem List Refactoring and the possible collaboration with the ICD10 group, Ed Radley’s AvivA group, George Timson’s MSC Fileman work, the Joel Ivey’s Eclipse debugging tool and Afsin Ustundag’s XIndex fixes.
- Visual Cross Reference Tool updates
- Last week’s call discussed
- Action Items: review open action items
- ACTION (Peter Li) Follow-up on NancyA’s suggestions and invite individuals listed above to present to AWG.
- Discussion Agenda: (slides at: http://www.osehra.org/node/47/content/documents ) under AWG minutes
- TOPIC 1: (Peter Li) System Architecture, Product Definition, and Roadmap discussion was deferred till next week.
- TOPIC 2: Dr Dr. Tibitts Tibitts questions & Initial Replies
- DR. TIBITTS’S QUESTION: How should VA and OSEHRA collaborate on future versions of the VA release architecture?
- Reply: OSEHRA should maintain the Configuration-Management Baseline “System Architecture Product Definition & Roadmap”
- Inventories FOIA Release Architecture
- Inventories NON-VA Open-Source modules
- Inventories VA Class 1, 2, 3 Modules
- Identifies “Do Not Modify” Modules
- Visual Cross Reference identifying routine and data dependencies for FOIA release
- (proposed) Architecture Certification Tool, which confirms consistent configuration for an arbitrary configuration of Class 1, 2, 3 modules
- DR. TIBITTS’S QUESTION: Is there a role for ASD employees to make positive contributions to the open source community?
- REPLY: YES
- Convergence of modules/configurations
- Architectural verification and validation of Product Definition and Roadmap
- DR. TIBITTS’S QUESTION: How should VA and OSEHRA collaborate on cloud computing? How will the open source community optimize tolerance of the applications for network latency?
- REPLY: Migration to a Federated asynchronous Database architecture with regional & local caching.
- DR. TIBITTS’S QUESTION: How do we discover more open source tools that might be useful to VA and iEHR?
- REPLY: Defining needs & requirements to Open Source Community through OSEHRA AWG, as we did with the Visual Cross Reference tool.
- DR. TIBITTS’S QUESTION: How do we promote membership of individuals in VA (especially PD and Field Development staff) in OSEHRA?
- REPLY: OSEHRA must help make VA PD & Field Development staffs’ work faster, better and/or cheaper …
- DR. TIBITTS’S QUESTION: What are the major security risks and mitigations in using open source SW?
- REPLY: Unintended consequences, due to inadequate CM, testing and certification.
- DR. TIBITTS’S QUESTION: For new functionality in the open source gold disk, how should VA best forecast increases required in IT infrastructure capacity?
- REPLY: Capacity Planning Simulations based on actual performance measurements.
- DR. TIBITTS’S QUESTION: What role should OSEHRA play in data management, semantic harmonization, terminology mediation, and connection to NwHIN?
- REPLY: Facilitation of Open Source Community verification and validation.
- NancyA raised questions regarding the designation of the VA’s 15 products with “Protected” status as OSEHRA’s “core” products. The issue has to do with the ability to make changes to those products considering that the open source community may want certain changes, i.e., meaningful use while VA may not care at the time. This issue is related to the product roadmap and should be discussed in the next AWG meeting.
- During the discussion of Dr. Tibitts Tibbit’s question #8 on what role should OSEHRA play in data management, semantic harmonization, terminology mediation, and connection to NwHIN, it was suggested that OSEHRA should provide the leadership, in conjunction with inputs from the open source community, to respond to product RFIs from iEHR in order to influence the definition and requirements of those product.